Getting children into gaming

Nabix

Administrator
How did all of you get into gaming? I ask because I have two children who are both under 5. I'm not a fan of parents letting their kids have cell phones, consoles, and tablets at a very early age. I know here in the next few years both of them will be asking for those things. So, I'm wondering if it would be best to start them out like I did (on super nintendo) or just break down and buy them a console, like a switch...

PGen98

Administrator
I think a retro console with older games in the perfect way to get them into gaming. It'll teach them about perseverance, because older games are harder, it'll show them that flashy graphics aren't everything, and they'll learn a lot more about gaming culture by first hand experience with some iconic games.

I think a retro console with older games in the perfect way to get them into gaming. It'll teach them about perseverance, because older games are harder, it'll show them that flashy graphics aren't everything, and they'll learn a lot more about gaming culture by first hand experience with some iconic games.
I actually did the same for my little brother who's 8, he wanted a nintendo switch but I give him my first nintendo game boy even though he plays some rocket league with me but I thought he isn't at the age to own a flashy console yet. Maybe one day he can have my playstation 4 but like when he's 14 or so. Plus I don't let him play on the gameboy before he does him home work.

PGen98

Administrator
That's a solid idea, still gives him gaming time, but he's learning about classic games and gaining a perspective his friends likely won't have.

Nabix

Administrator
I'm thinking about buying an old Super Nintendo or maybe a N64... Only downside is I will need a av2hdmi adapter every time.