Have Any of you guys ever run a game server?

Soulwatcher

Feb 21, 2021
I have run a few different Minecraft servers and I LOVE running my own server. But EVERY single time without fail someone tries to grief the server. And I have tried a lot of different griefing mods which eats up a lot of ram. But people still find ways to grief! :mad: So I have given up on running my own server and I just play on my son-in-law's family server. What about you? Have you ever run a game server?

PGen98

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2021
I've run a couple of small servers, mostly for FiveM and GTA, but I never bothered keeping them running for too long because, yeah, people tend to come and cause grief and problems just because they can. It can be fun, though, running a server and having fun with a game and tinkering with the settings, adding mods and add-ons and so forth.

Soulwatcher

Feb 21, 2021
It can be fun, though, running a server and having fun with a game and tinkering with the settings, adding mods and add-ons and so forth.
That for sure is the fun part about running your own server. I love researching mods and setting the server up. And I always find cool people to play with. But the fun is short-lived when you're fixing the mess a griefer made every single day. Because in my past experience I was griefed every day by different people!

PGen98

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 12, 2021
That for sure is the fun part about running your own server. I love researching mods and setting the server up. And I always find cool people to play with. But the fun is short-lived when you're fixing the mess a griefer made every single day. Because in my past experience I was griefed every day by different people!
Yep, spot on, it completely ruins the experience when you're spending all of that time and energy setting up what could be a really fun environment to play in, and in an instant it's ruined because of one or two people and their need to be stupid about things. I tried running private servers, only inviting people I knew, but then a couple of them decided to invite other friends, who invited others, and then opened the floodgates and the inevitable happened within a couple of days. So I also gave up on running game servers, at least until I could find a way to keep griefers out or undo the damage they'd caused faster.

Backups help, but it's still a pain if you've just installed something or just built something and the backup hasn't hit yet before the damage is done... Just one of those things, I have no idea why people feel the need to do that.

Abizaga

Staff member
Feb 21, 2021
I have run a few different Minecraft servers and I LOVE running my own server. But EVERY single time without fail someone tries to grief the server. And I have tried a lot of different griefing mods which eats up a lot of ram. But people still find ways to grief! :mad: So I have given up on running my own server and I just play on my son-in-law's family server. What about you? Have you ever run a game server?
I have. I used to run Gmod darkrp servers, a long time ago. Got screwed by my right hand twice and I stopped trusting people as much after that.

Nerdface

Feb 21, 2021
I've been tempted to run a Counter-Strike server back when I used to play, but never bothered doing so..

I don't really play many PC games, so haven't really looked at other opportunities. I'm unsure if the likes of Operation Raccoon City or Umbrella Corps support custom servers to host under the "Umbrella Online" name, but they're not overly popular games in the grand scheme of things anyway..

Abizaga

Staff member
Feb 21, 2021
I've been tempted to run a Counter-Strike server back when I used to play, but never bothered doing so..

I don't really play many PC games, so haven't really looked at other opportunities. I'm unsure if the likes of Operation Raccoon City or Umbrella Corps support custom servers to host under the "Umbrella Online" name, but they're not overly popular games in the grand scheme of things anyway..
I used to love the idea of running one as a teen but of course I was power hungry back then. :p

Spikey

Feb 26, 2021
That's one reason why I wouldn't want to run my own server because of the trouble people can cause. I would rather be playing the game :D

Abizaga

Staff member
Feb 21, 2021
That's one reason why I wouldn't want to run my own server because of the trouble people can cause. I would rather be playing the game :D
Yeah honestly it can be suprisingly stressful trying to balance everything to keep people on board.