Modem versus Router!

David21

Modem versus Router!

These days, both modem and Router are vital gadgets for us.

Do you know?
What's the Difference between modem and Router?
Or then again,
How does a modem respond? How does a Router respond?

Nerdface

Modems are generally built-in to Routers these days, no need to have separate devices (thankfully)..

..but yes, I do know the difference - I used to work for Plusnet.

apathy

Modems are generally built-in to Routers these days, no need to have separate devices (thankfully)..

..but yes, I do know the difference - I used to work for Plusnet.
Interseting, networking has always been my weakpoint so I actually figured they were the same thing but the word you'd use would depend on your location (America vs. Europe, for example).

Michael99

Hey!
Both have their own importance. If you have a modem you don’t need to have a router because at a time a modem can only connect to one device, and if you want to be able to access the internet from multiple devices you'll need a router.

Nerdface

Each to their own, I wouldn't go back to having separate hardware - it seems a tad unnecessary given how reliable modern routers tend to be.

Also, if you have any connection problems and try to call your ISP support with your own hardware connected, they absolutely reserve the right to ask you to re-connect the hardware that they provided before they'll assist with any diagnostics.. As much as that may seem backward - it's just the way it is! Unless of course you're prepared to accept the possibility of a charge if the issue is demonstrated to be with your equipment and/or wiring issues within the property without having them check any diagnostics..